Monday, December 15, 2008

Tough Crowd


I have always been interested in the weather and am generally interested to know what it is going to be like in my area each day. I can usually look at the weather maps on TV and give a decent forecast based on what I see.

But there is no way in hell I would be a weatherman. Those guys get abused by everyone.

Think about it....most people get on their case as soon as it rains or snows a little bit more than it is supposed to. Or god forbid they forecast the day as sunny and a few clouds show up to block the sun for part of the day.

The other day I was listening to Colin Cowherd on ESPN radio and he went off on a tangent about how weathermen have the easiest jobs because they get paid to be right half the time.

Really? Half the time is the best they do?

And he said something to the effect of "if I made that many mistakes I would be fired." Really? Fired for making a mistake once in a while. I would be willing to be that he makes a mistake DAILY on the air by pronouncing something wrong.....but yet he is still working there. Hmmm.

I would be willing to be that 90% of the time.....the weatherman are dead on.

You can go months without hearing anything about them and then all of a sudden they say snow but instead it rains and people freak out. Or maybe they give a 50% chance of rain and it rains all day....oh no what am I going to do now. I didn't think it was going to rain. Well why the hell not....you knew the possibility existed.

The only times they make mistakes are the only times you hear about them.

It is probably one of the most thankless jobs in the world. No one gives you ANY CREDIT when you are right....they only blame you when you are wrong.

So I would like to say thank you to my local weathermen for telling me what the weather is going to be like most days. I appreciate knowing that it is going to rain today so that I can bring an umbrella with me to work.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

today on the radio the weather called for was "chance of rain, sheet, or snow" so far all we've had is partly sunny, windy, and 50-some degrees.