Monday, January 26, 2009

Breed Specific Bans



Okay, I don't normally do an actual posting, but I am so tired of people wanting certain dog breeds banned. One article I read this morning was about Pit Bulls (again.) A 12 year old girl was bit in the face by a Pit. Here's my problem with it, the dog was fenced in, but the girl put her head over the fence, for what reason...it was never mentioned, and the dog bit her. Duh...most breeds would do that or try to. All dogs are territorial. Maybe the fence was right against the sidewalk, or maybe the fence wasn't tall enough. Either way thats not the dog's fault, the owners should have placed a taller fence if its right along side the sidewalk, and the girl and/or her mother (who was with her) should have some common sense not to put their head over a fence.

The last statement of the article really bothers me too. "That particular breed is problematic. They were bred to go into the pit and fight," she said. "It's like a little time bomb waiting to go off." NO THEY WERE NOT!!! People need to learn about breeds before they open their mouths. I have never owned a Pit Bull, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to look up basic information on the internet. "The American Pit Bull Terrier's many talents did not go unnoticed by farmers and ranchers who used their APBTs for protection, as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions." Also, most people do not seem to know that their are different breeds of Pit Bulls, with the American Pit Bull Terrier the only one with the words "pit" and "bull" in its name.

Just because they are bad owners, doesn't mean the dogs are born "evil." There are bad parents too, but do we label the children "evil" and try to eliminate them?!?! No!!! We go after the parents.

My husband and I have owned 2 "bully breed" dogs so far; a Chinese Shar Pei and (the current babies) two Siberian Huskies. And I have news for you, so far our two house cats are more likely to hiss, spit, and scratch you then any of the dogs we have had.

Photobucket

2 comments:

Kristina said...

Sorry this comment is so late. I just found this blog and I am liking it :) Anyways, I totally agree with you on the whole Pit Bull issue. If someone knows that their dog has issues with others, then the owner needs to be the responsible one in the situation. That dog isn't going to know if a small child is a threat or not, and is going to act out of instinct because that is what dogs do. I have a Husky and an Akita and they are so friendly. I don't know what I would do if I was made to get rid of my dogs.

Thanks for letting me spout :)

Louise | UPrinting.com said...

Wow~ that's a lame excuse to ban a dog. If a Persian cat scratches his owner's face, will they be banned too?
We need to have more common sense... X(