Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Is it too much to ask?


I am generally a happy guy that doesn’t get bothered by too many things. At least that’s how I see it now. We will see if that continues now that I am doing this blog but for now I am going with that.

But there are a few things that bother me. I am not going to list them here because 1. I don’t want to think about it and 2. I may want to write about it later, like right now.

I am not religious in the least. I spent 13 years at a Catholic School and going to church every Sunday or so. But all that did was make me hate the church and organized religion.

Basically I am what everyone calls a “non-practicing” Catholic because I was baptized and all that stuff. But I call myself nothing because I am NOT Catholic.

I do consider myself a good person however. And it isn’t because I do anything special or remarkable. I am just generally good natured and nice to people even when they are a**holes to me.

One thing that pisses me off more than anything else has to do with when you let someone go in front of you somewhere or when you stop your car and let someone cross the street. Or when you are at a stop sign and you let someone else turn in front of you.

And it isn’t the letting people go part that pisses me off; it is when the person you let go does not acknowledge you with the “wave”.

You know what the “wave” is, so don’t pretend to be confused. All you have to do is put your hand up and show you appreciate it. You don’t even have to take your hand off the steering wheel if you don’t want to. Just life your fingers off the top of the wheel in a half-wave.

Old people really seem to be the worst at this. For some reason they think that they are entitled to going first. I agree with that in certain situations but not on the road. And you would really think that older Americans would be nicer about things because they are the one’s complaining most of the time, but now they rarely give the “wave”.

Has this country really gotten to the point that a simple nod or wave of the hand is too much for people?

I don’t think it is really that much to ask though because you know damn well that those same people that don’t wave are the first ones putting a finger or flipping the bird at you when they aren’t happy.

So come on people, show a little respect, a little common courtesy and simply acknowledge someone when they do something nice for you! It will make people do it more often.

No comments: